A major security scare unfolded near the White House on Saturday evening after gunfire erupted at a security checkpoint, prompting a rapid response from the U.S. Secret Service and triggering a temporary lockdown around the presidential complex. (npr.org)
According to multiple law enforcement reports, an armed suspect opened fire near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW before Secret Service agents returned fire and critically wounded the individual. A bystander was also reportedly struck during the chaos.
What Happened Near the White House?
Officials said the incident occurred around 6 p.m. Saturday near a security checkpoint just outside White House grounds. Witnesses described hearing multiple gunshots before Secret Service officers rushed journalists, staff, and nearby pedestrians into secure areas.
Law enforcement sources told Reuters that the suspect approached the checkpoint armed with a handgun and began firing toward officers. Secret Service agents immediately returned fire, bringing the suspect down.
Authorities later confirmed the suspect was transported to a nearby hospital after the shooting. Some reports later indicated the individual died from injuries sustained during the exchange of gunfire.
President Donald Trump Was Inside the White House
At the time of the shooting, President Donald Trump was reportedly inside the White House. Officials confirmed the president was never in immediate danger and that no breach of the White House complex occurred.
The White House briefly entered lockdown procedures while Secret Service agents secured the surrounding area and assessed potential threats. Journalists covering events near the White House were ordered to take cover and move into the press briefing room.
Video captured during live television reports appeared to show reporters ducking for safety moments after gunshots rang out nearby.
FBI and Secret Service Launch Investigation
The FBI has joined the Secret Service in investigating the incident. FBI Director Kash Patel confirmed on social media that federal authorities were actively responding to the shooting and gathering evidence.
Investigators are reportedly examining:
- The suspect’s motive
- Whether the White House was specifically targeted
- The suspect’s mental health history
- Any possible prior threats or security warnings
According to reports, the suspect had previously been issued a “stay-away order” connected to White House security areas.
Some outlets also reported the suspect appeared emotionally disturbed before the shooting.
Bystander Injured During Gunfire Exchange
Authorities confirmed that at least one bystander was injured during the exchange of gunfire near the checkpoint. Officials have not yet publicly stated whether the bystander was struck by shots fired by the suspect or law enforcement officers.
Emergency crews quickly responded to the scene as heavily armed federal officers secured streets surrounding the White House complex.
No Secret Service agents were reported injured in Saturday’s shooting.
Another Major White House Security Incident in 2026
The shooting adds to a growing number of major security incidents involving areas around the White House this year.
Just weeks earlier, gunfire erupted during the 2026 White House Correspondents’ Dinner in Washington, D.C., forcing the evacuation of senior administration officials and journalists.
Another armed confrontation involving the Secret Service also occurred earlier this month near the Washington Monument, where officers exchanged gunfire with an armed man during a separate security incident.
The latest shooting is likely to renew concerns about presidential security and rising threats near high-profile government locations in Washington.
White House Area Returns to Normal Operations
After the scene was secured, officials gradually lifted lockdown restrictions around the White House area later Saturday evening. However, a heavy law enforcement presence remained visible throughout downtown Washington, D.C.
Authorities continue urging the public to avoid speculation while the investigation remains active.
The Secret Service has not yet released the suspect’s identity or a final timeline of events as federal investigators continue reviewing surveillance footage, witness accounts, and forensic evidence tied to the shooting.


No comments:
Post a Comment